Record Of Department Shops Of The United Kingdom
The enterprise got here to be owned by House of Fraser in the 1970s (presumably through a larger acquisition?) and was renamed Dingles before closing within the 1980s. The premises were bought by Denners. John Falconer & Co. – Bought by Scottish Drapery Corporation 1929. Acquired by House of Fraser 1952; renamed Frasers 1970s; closed 2002. Corders – established 1787 Bought by Debenhams; included into Footman Pretty on completion of new constructing.
Godfreys – closed 2015; re-opened as Kerry’s Home Furnishings. Finnigans (Wilmslow; previously Manchester) – Relocated from Manchester metropolis centre to Wilmslow c.
Acquired by John Lewis Partnership in 1940. Selfridges flagship division retailer was not part of this acquisition and was acquired by Lewis’s in 1951. All shops are quickly closed other than for the gathering of pre-paid Call & Collect orders from chosen stores.
Havens Opened 1901; Store closed in 2017 and moved to being an internet retailer solely. George Henry Havelock – Destroyed by fire 18 July 1898; rebuilt 1900; closed 1914. William Harvey – Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1953. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed Army & Navy; renamed House of Fraser. Grant Warden (Walton-on-Thames) – Formerly Campbell & Booker. Bought by J E Beale; renamed Beales.
Vape Shop in East Lindsey, UK
Acquired by House of Fraser 1977; renamed House of Fraser c. Dawson Brothers – purchased by Drapery Trust; ownership subsequently transferred to Debenhams; offered Closed. Located at City Road / East Road junction. Cresta House – opened by Debenhams as a department of Cresta House in premises previously occupied by the Harrogate branch of Marshall & Snelgrove. Bought by Schofields; renamed Schofields. Acquired by House of Fraser; closed. Building now occupied by Hoopers .
Acquired by Selfridge Provincial Stores 1926. Subsequently, acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1949. Subsequently, acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1990. Pophams Plymouth – Opened in 1824 as Pophams & Radford earlier than the Radford component was dropped in 1931.
Building now occupied by Tesco Metro . Woodard’s Opened 1908 on nook of Regent Street and the Parade. Store was closed by then owners Merchant Retail on the 31st July 2004, contributing £300,000 revenue to the group. The constructing was offered to Atlantic Property Developments plc who demolished the constructing in 2005.
Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1934; renamed John Lewis on relocation to new building 2000. Strange & Atkinson – purchased by Bobby & Co.
Bought by Binns 1934; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953; renamed Frasers. Howards – Bought by United Drapery Stores; later included into the John Blundell group; renamed John Blundell. George Hilton & Sons – Established 1882; closed Eighties. Main buildings demolished and site redeveloped as Orchards Shopping Centre.
Bought by Hoopers 1982; renamed Hoopers 1982. Closed 2001 and renamed House of Fraser. Eastmonds – Bought by Banburys of Barnstaple; renamed Banburys.
Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1947; offered to McCartney Stewart. Site now occupied by part of Marks & Spencer and south-jap section of Arndale Centre . Tuttles – Bought by Debenhams c. Thomas Tucker – Established 1801. Bought by Benzie household, of Benzie & Miller, 1958; closed 2007. Ranbys – Bought by Debenhams Sixties; renamed Debenhams 1973; relocated 2007. Quin & Axten – Bought by Bon Marché 1920.
I C Cola Premium E Liquid By E Luxe London by John Lewis Partnership 1953; enterprise of A H Bull included into Heelas 1953; renamed John Lewis 2001. Bought by Drapery Trust; incorporated into the Bobby & Co. group; renamed Debenhams 1970s. Genge & Co. – Succeeded George Dixon & Jameson 1899. Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1953. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed Dingles; closed 1980s.
Bought by Selfridges in 1919; incorporated into Selfridge Provincial Stores in 1926; rebuilt in 1935. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership in 1940; closed in 1981; constructing subsequently occupied by Waitrose. John Banner – Established 1873; relocated to Attercliffe Road in 1894; rebuilt in 1934. Bought by Hurst & Sandler and subsequently acquired by United Drapery Stores; closed in 1980. Selfridge Provincial Stores – group created by Selfridges in 1926.
Vape Shop in Manchester, UK
Wilson & Co – established in 1883; building destroyed by fire in 1909 Store re-opened with new grand building and became ivg 50 50 series strawberry millions 6mg often known as Wilson’s Corner. Building now occupied by smaller models and flats.
Acquired by United Drapery Stores. Here at Evapo we inventory an intensive range of vaping merchandise; catering to new vapers, advanced vapers, and everybody in between. Webbers – Succeeded City Drapery Stores 1905. Bought by Hide & Co. 1952; closed 1971. Vokins – Established 1882 as ‘Leeson & Vokins’. Traded as ‘Leeson & Vokins’ 1882–1937; W H Vokins 1937–1983; Vokins 1983–1997; closed 1997. Vokins continued to commerce as ‘Vokins Furniture & Beds’ from a website in Hove till closure in 2015.
Vape Shop in Warrington, UK
The flagship Liverpool retailer was last owned by Vergo Retail and closed on 29 May 2010. This is an inventory of malls of the United Kingdom. In the case of department store teams, the placement of the flagship retailer is given. This list doesn’t include large specialist stores, which typically resemble malls. The record is damaged into “currently trading” (A–Z); “defunct teams” and “defunct” (A–Z). Kennards – Bought by Drapery Trust; renamed Debenhams 1973.Kennards – Opened by Debenhams as a branch of Kennards of Croydon; closed. Bought by House of Fraser 1977; closed 2005.David Evans – Opened as a department of David Evans of Swansea 1961.
Former furnishings constructing now occupied by Robert Dyas . Heelas & Sons Co. – Established 1854. Bought by Charles Clore 1947; sold to United Drapery Stores 1950.
Vape Shop in Sefton, UK
Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1968; renamed Army & Navy. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; closed 2004.
Bought out by Dingles in 1962 and closed shortly after. Ponting Brothers – Bought by John Barker & Co. 1907. Acquired by House of Fraser 1957; closed 1970. William Plumpton & Son – Bought by Palmers; renamed Palmers.
Bought by John Barker & Co. 1947. Acquired by House of Fraser 1957; closed 1968; reopened as Dickins & Jones on completion of new building 1970; renamed House of Fraser 2007. G R Cooper – bought by Selfridges in 1966. Original retailer demolished 1973 for brand spanking new retailer as part of Westgate development. Bourne & Hollingsworth – Closed 1983.Bourne & Hollingsworth – Opened as a department of Bourne & Hollingsworth of Oxford Street; offered 1979. Bonds – purchased by John Lewis Partnership in 1982; renamed John Lewis in 2001. Edward Bates – established 1869; bought by Bentalls in 1979; renamed Bentalls; closed in the Eighties.
McDonalds, Wylie & Lochhead – shaped from the merger of McDonalds and Wylie & Lochhead by House of Fraser 1957; renamed Frasers 1975. Jones Brothers – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1990. Jones & Higgins – Established 1867. Acquired by Great Universal Stores; closed 1980.
W H Hunt & Co. – Established 1889; closed 1923. Located at 197–207 Kensington High Street. Holdrons – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; sold 1948. M C Hitchen & Son – offered to Littlewoods in 1952. George Hitchcock Williams & Co. (St Paul’s Churchyard, London) – Established 1841; closed 1984.
H L Reid – purchased by Great Northern & Southern Stores and Wright Brothers 1938. Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1975. Rankin & Co. – Bought by Benzie & Miller; renamed Benzie & Miller. Acquired by House of Fraser 1958; renamed Arnotts 1970s; closed 1980s. A L Ramsay – Established 1845, later A L Ramsay & Son.
Bought by Benzie & Miller; renamed Benzie & Miller. Acquired by House of Fraser; renamed Arnotts; closed. Gray Peverell & Co. – Established 1902. Bought by Binns 1926; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953; closed 1992. Pearsons – Opened as a department of Pearsons of Enfield.
Smok Novo Kit Replacement Pods 3 Pack in Vale Royal, UK
Bought by United Drapery Stores; renamed Allders c. J D Morant (Chichester; beforehand Southsea) – Established 1910; Southsea premises destroyed by bombing 1941; relocated to Chichester 1941. Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1955; renamed Army & Navy. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed House of Fraser 2007. Eighties marketing and seo services for vape websites; succeeded by Norman Jones & Co.
Staddons – Bought by Drapery Trust; ownership subsequently transferred to Debenhams; sold. Eldred Sayers & Sons – Bought by Bentalls; renamed Bentalls; relocated. Bought by J E Beale from Fenwick; renamed Beales; closed. Arthur Sanders – Established 1770. Bought by Binns 1922; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953. Now only surviving retailer to retain the Binns name .
Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1969; renamed Dingles 1973; closed Nineties. Bobby & Co. – Succeeded John Cordeux & Sons as a department of Bobby & Co. in 1928; closed in 1932 and premises bought to Brights. Boardmans – purchased by Keddies in the Nineteen Seventies; closed in 1984 and constructing demolished. Anderson’s Royal Polytechnic – established 1837 as Glasgow’s first department store. Bought by Lewis’s within the 1920s and rebuilt.
Closed previous to sale to Morles and now a Primark. Stuart Norris – Succeeded Driscolls. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975; renamed Chiesmans 1975; renamed Army & Navy; closed 1990s. Robert Maule & Son – established 1894.
Edward J Clarke – Bought by McDonalds of Glasgow 1922; renamed McDonalds 1922. Acquired by House of Fraser 1951; later integrated into the Binns group; renamed Binns. Boothroyds – purchased by Broadbents of Southport; acquired by Owen Owen and merged with Broadbents to type Broadbents & Boothroyds on the Boothroyds website. William Badcock & Son – Bought by E Dingle & Co. within the Nineteen Sixties; subsequently acquired by House of Fraser in 1971. Attwoods – bought by Kay & Co. of Worcester, the catalogue enterprise within the 1950s. Hurst & Sandler – principally a manufacturer of gowns and other textile items.
Re-opened as the Houndsditch before closing in 1984 and being demolished and replaced by Aylesham Centre. Norman Jones & Co. – Succeeded Makins & Bean. Bought by Mr. R. H. Carlton 1911; renamed Carltons 1918. Bought by Drapery Trust; renamed Debenhams 1972. Joseph Johnson – Established 1880. Acquired by Fenwick 1962; renamed Fenwick. Bought by Debenhams 1943; renamed Debenhams 1973.
Henry Sparrow Started as Sworders Ironmongery retailer through the mid 1800s in North Street. In 1904 it was bought by the stores clerk, Henry Sparrow. His household grew it into Bishop Stortford’s solely department retailer. In 1971 the enterprise was offered by auction to Pearsons of Enfield. Pearsons was offered to Morleys Stores in 2010, with the Bishop Stortford retailer closed in 2012. Opened as Hammonds on completion of latest building 1970. Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1972; renamed Binns; closed c.
Lingards – Originally Sunbridge Road.Bought by United Drapery Stores; New retailer opened The mall, Westgate. Both shops closed by UDS on 23 April 1977. Kennards – Opened by Debenhams as a branch of Kennards of Croydon; renamed Debenhams 1973. R H O Hills – Bought by Whiteleys. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975; included into the Binns group; renamed Binns; closed. Gosling & Sons – Established 1795.
Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1969; renamed Dingles 1973; renamed House of Fraser 2000s. Cole Brothers – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores 1927. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; renamed John Lewis 2002.
Acquired by House of Fraser 1959; renamed Rackhams Nineteen Seventies; renamed House of Fraser Eighties; closed 1998. Tyrrell & Green – Established 1897.
Premises bought by Boyes and reopened in 1998. The co-operative continues to operate numerous companies exterior of non-meals retail. Fear Hill – group of four department shops; the Trowbridge store was established in 1880. Harrison Gibson – closed 2010Harrison Gibson – Opened as a branch of Harrison Gibson of Ilford.
Compton House – Built for retailer J.R.Jeffery in 1865; closed in 1871. Compton House holds a novel international standing as a contender for the world’s first division retailer, pre-courting Bon Marche in Paris by some 5 years. Building transformed to a lodge in 1873 and part of the building has been occupied by Marks & Spencer since 1928. W J Buckley & Co. – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores and subsequently acquired by the John Lewis Partnership in 1940. The retailer was offered to Busbys of Bradford in 1953 who rebranded the store beneath the Busbys name. Busbys was itself bought by Debenhams in 1958. The store was renamed Debenhams in 1973 and continues to commerce from the same site .
Lewis’s – group went into administration in 1991. A variety of stores had been subsequently acquired by Owen Owen.
A fireplace in 1970 destroyed the constructing and its neighbouring department retailer Buntings. The constructing was rebuilt however the retailer closed in 1984. Dale & Kerley – bought by John Barker & Co.; acquired by House of Fraser 1957; incorporated into the Army & Navy group c. Building now occupied by T J Hughes .
- In 1971 the enterprise was sold by auction to Pearsons of Enfield.
- Henry Sparrow Started as Sworders Ironmongery retailer in the course of the mid 1800s in North Street.
- In 1904 it was bought by the stores clerk, Henry Sparrow.
- His family grew it into Bishop Stortford’s solely division store.
- Opened as Hammonds on completion of new constructing 1970.
Darling & Co. – Bought by House of Fraser from Great Universal Stores; closed. Traded as Colson & Spark ; Colson & Gates 1870–1889; Colson & Co. . Bought by Brights 1925; renamed Colsons of Exeter 1925.
North constructing now occupied by T K Maxx . South building demolished and website vacant . Garlands – Located in London Street.
Woolland Brothers – Established 1869; new building completed 1901. Bought by Debenhams 1949; closed 1967. Site now occupied by The Park Tower Knightsbridge Hotel . Building bought by Hoopers and reopened as the first Hoopers retailer 1982.
West & Moulton – Bought by Whiteleys. Verity & Sons – Bought by Owen Owen; renamed Owen Owen. Ricemans (Canterbury; previously Deal, Kent) – Relocated from Deal to function-built Canterbury store 1960s. Bought by Fenwick 1986; renamed Fenwick on relocation to new constructing 2003. Pearsons (Bishop’s Stortford) – Opened as a department of Pearsons of Enfield 1972 in premises previously occupied by H Sparrow. Bought by Morleys Stores 2010; closed 2012.
Roslings – Opened at no. 31 London Road in 1905 before extending in 1932. Store closed in 1960 being purchased by Woolworths who opened their new store in 1965.
A new Lewis’s department store opened on the positioning in 1929. Allders Department Stores – group went into administration on 29 January 2005. All branches have been subsequently bought or closed. The flagship Croydon store continued to trade independently after 2005, finally closing on 22 September 2012. Wright Brothers – Bought by Hide & Co. 1940. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975. Bought by Owen Owen from House of Fraser 1976; renamed Owen Owen; closed 1990; premises sold to Tesco.
About The Author
Author Biograhy: Ekaterina Mironova is a co-founder of CBD Life Mag and an avid blogger on the Hemp, CBD and fashion subjects. Ekaterina is also on the panel of the CBD reviewers and she most enjoys CBD gummies. Ekaterina has developed a real interest in CBD products after she started taking CBD tincture oil to help her ease her anxiety that was part-and-parcel of her quick-paced city career. When Ekaterina realised just how effective CBD is, she has founded CBD Life Magazine along with some of her friends.
When she is not blogging, you are likely to see Ekaterina in front of her souped up Alienware laptop gaming or delving into the world of Cryptocurrency. Ekaterina also boasts a very large collection of Penny Black Posts stamps and silver hammered Medieval coins. Ekaterina’s other interest include swimming, painting, traveling, shopping, spending a good time with her friends and helping animals in need.
Ekaterina has featured in some of the leading publications such as Vanity Fair, Country Living, Vogue, Elle, New York Times and others.
CBD Life Mag